[LINK] Unite groups

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 2 23:18:32 AEST 2007

Unite to be heard, says CeBIT boss
Roland Tellzen, MAY 01, 2007

<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21651730%5E16123%5E%
5Enbv%5E,00.html>

AUSTRALIA'S disparate ICT industry bodies need to unite to present a
single, strong lobbying voice, the managing director of Hannover Fairs
Australia, Ms Jackie Taranto, said today.

Speaking at the official opening of CeBIT Australia in Sydney, Ms Taranto
said the fragmented nature of the industry's lobbying groups were not
serving the industry or government well.

"We are represented in Australia by 20 plus industry groups, all
competing for the ear of the various levels of government around the
country," Ms Taranto said.

"We are fractured and our messages are unclear. Yet we are one industry.
In this we are serving our political leaders poorly.

"We simply need to be better organised - our challenge now is to find a
new model for representation that both reflects the breadth of this
industry as well as its critical importance to the national economy.

"This should be our absolute priority, to create a single industry voice
that draws together the many industry organisations into a cohesive
unit."

Ms Taranto's call got immediate backing from the Federal Minister for
Communications, Senator Helen Coonan.

"I think she made a very salient point," Senator Coonan said.

"This is a very good opportunity for the various representative groups in
the industry to come together."
--

Cheers all ..
Stephen Loosley