[LINK] Centrelink computers to keep tabs on the dead and flying

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 9 12:53:13 AEST 2007

[snip]

> A "real-time" link between Centrelink and the Department of
> Immigration and Citizenship will be established to keep a check on
> changes in residence status and in departures from and returns to
> Australia to ensure people are still eligible for payments.
>
> "Approximately 700,000 Centrelink customers travel overseas each year,
> and of these, 500,000 do not notify the agency of their departure,"
> Senator Ellison said.
...and once again we see the chronic misuse of statistics in a form
designed to press a political point, regardless of fact...

- Being a Centrelink "customer" does not disqualify an individual from
travelling overseas. For eg, a claimant of childcare rebates counts.
- Travel overseas has no necessary impact on an individual's Centrelink
status.
- I'm not aware of any blanket rule which says "if you are registered
for any Centrelink payment and you go on any kind of overseas trip, you
must notify Centrelink.

The statistics are bogus.

RC