[LINK] spy technology

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sun May 20 15:02:39 AEST 2007

Lea de Groot wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 11:14:42 +1000, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>
>> This just highlights the common misconception about RFID... that you
>> can just "wave your magic RFID wand" and read everything, everywhere
>> in a room.... it is not going to happen.
>>

> No, but what about a tracker in a wrist band (lets not get into
> subcutaneous installs...)
> Put an RFID eqipped item down, tracker notes you are moving away from
> item.
> Later on a vocal query of 'system, where is X?' would give a return of
> where it was last put.
> Not that hard with a few developments, simpler versions (a keypad) are
> quite doable now.
>
> Lea

I should have mentioned that with ACTIVE tags and WiFi networks set up
for RTLS (Real Time Location Systems) you can infact track assets in
real time readily now. This is finding great success in Hospitals in
tracking equipment, beds and some patients. Resulting is saving in costs
(because they know where the unused blood pressure monitor is) and
better patient service.

However, to do this with PASSIVE tags is problematic. And depending on
the tag would be only useful in "choke points". All the PASSIVE RFID
wrist bands that I am aware of (and we sell them use Low Fequnecy or
High-Frequency tags.. which have very short read range (5 to 40 cm).

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan