[LINK] Paymate

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Sep 18 09:41:31 AEST 2007

At 09:24 AM 18/09/2007, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that almost makes cheques look *cheap*,
>but maybe I'm failing to factor in the bank's annual fees and the
>cost of interest foregone.  And for a volunteer organisation,
>simplicity, reliability and automated operation is *good* (right, Jan?).

I think Roger was being rhetorical when he mentioned me because I'm
the current treasurer for APF. But since I'm a member of this
community, I'll reply, just in case.

If someone had a long term online business thing with lots of
transactions, the 'pay'-xxxx options may make perfect sense. I have a
friend who has a set of shareware software with payments coming
through one of them. Doesn't bat an eye at the percentage. But I
don't know if it's just because it's 'there' or that she did any
analysis. I think it's probably the former.

We use a direct deposit strategy for donations and annual membership
fees that works reasonably well. There is a loop of communication
through the secretary to make sure I know and she knows who is making
the deposit if they aren't clear in their deposit information. No
extra fees to anyone in the accounts I've set up with Bendigo. YMMV
with other banks or account types. Many folks are used to direct
deposit now, so it works for us.

IF there were going to be lots of transactions over the course of a
year, bookkeepers may find the payment services valuable for that.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #78: In writing, 'do overs' are a 'good thing' -- and
a requirement. - JW, Sept, 2007

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005