[LINK] Microsoft tracks people with RFID tags

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Aug 21 17:27:17 AEST 2008

At 15:43 +1000 21/8/08, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>If you read the rest of the article you will note:
>"A person's entry will trigger an animated avatar on the big in-room screen
>using cutting-edge motion detection..
>No personally identifiable information, such as names, will be displayed
>alongside the avatar...

An avatar isn't personally identifiable?

How then can the rest of the aims of the scheme be achieved?

>Delegates will also be educated on how to opt-out or remove the RFID tag, ...

Good.

>  ... but Microsoft is hoping most will choose to participate...
>The network is intended to help delegates see when rooms are filling up,
>identify personal networking opportunities"

I wonder what measures are being used to ensure that no-one
interprets that hope as a condition of employment, coercion, or even
pressure.

>i.e. appropriate consideration for peoples privacy has been considered.

It's just a tad more complicated than that, Geoffrey.

Comprehensive risk assessment incl. consultation?  Comprehensive risk
management plan?  Genuine consent?  Post-implementation audit of the
key design features?  Enforceable undertakings?  Enforcement process?
Sanctions?

And that's off the top of the head, without actually looking at the
'Code' that Jan worked on, and that has been comprehensively ignored
by the industry that used its preparation as evidence that it was
privacy-sensitive.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong