[LINK] RFI: Email Disclaimers

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri Aug 22 08:38:53 AEST 2008

On 22/08/2008, at 7:37 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 21/08/2008, at 6:22 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> It always seemed to me that adding a disclaimer is along the lines of
>> appearing to do something when possibly doing nothing would be more
>> effective.
>
> For me, it's not the signatures' legal effectiveness or lack thereof,
> but the "branding" issue.
>
> Do you really want your communication with clients, suppliers,
> associates etc to look like your relationship will be defined b
> lawyers? That you routinely sen "confidential" email to the wrong
> people and have to ask for it to be deleted? That you or your staff
> won't actually stand behind what you say in an email because it's not
> "confirmed in writing"? That your reaction when things go wrong is to
> sue? Etc...
>
> Stil

Captured in a nutshell, Stil - thanks for using a little lateral
thinking to make the subject very clear. I've spent the past week
trying to convince staff in my organisation to adopt a sensible and
uniform .sig, and all my efforts to describe the McQuary limit, RFC
1855, and more have fallen on deaf ears. This should (hopefully) turn
them around...

Thanks!

iT