[LINK] www.ipv6.org.au/summit/

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 30 05:47:29 AEST 2008

Richard writes,

> IPv6 debate for most of its ten years.. at least Geoff H is a hard-head

Yes, Geoff says "There’s no IPv6 out there in production land and no IPv4
addresses left. Failure, Huston said, is an option with IPv6. Rather than
continue to look at IPv6, he encouraged the industry to persist with IPv4
with ‘intensive’ use of carrier-grade NATs."

So, a virtual-address land-rush lately, and caused mainly i'd be guessing
by "Various Registrars" noted, apparently accurately: http://xkcd.com/195
acquiring all the virutal property to force up the, and their own, value?

So, IPv6? well http://www.sixxs.net/misc/coolstuff/ seems ok, but limited

and NATs? .. imposing a slow and old technology on all of us .. please no!

ONE PROPOSED SOLUTION:

As the specific problem is insufficient IPv4 address space to number the
IPv4-speaking customers, we propose to extend the IPv4 address space by
assigning to each customer a single IPv4 address which is extended by bits
from the port number in the TCP/UDP header, leaving the applications a
reduced fixed range of ports.

In the face of IPv4 address exhaustion, the need for addresses is stronger
than the need to be able to address thousands of applications on a single
host, and broadband consumers are not anticipated to deploy a massive
number of applications over IPv4. Assuming we could limit the applications’
port addressing to 6 (or 7) bits, we can increase the effective size of an
IPv4 address by 10 (or 9) additional bits. In this scenario, 1024 (or 512)
customers could be multiplexed on the same IPv4 address, while allowing
them a fixed range of 64 (or 128) ports. We call this extended addressing
or A+P (address plus port) addressing."

and Glen writes,

> lack government by some ISP industry body of government to enforce some
> IPv6 adoption.. banks manage to do this.. Our government communications
> regulator seems to lack the experience to back itself ... not just with
> IPv6, but with on-island peering of Australia's major ISPs..

Agreed, we really need the world to get tough about digital issues, in a
responsible way. It's good that http://www.ipv6.org.au/ are showing some
local IPv6 initiative, and the http://www.ipv6.org.au/summit/ looks great.

Cheers all,
Stephen Loosley