[LINK] www.ipv6.org.au/summit

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Aug 31 19:09:06 AEST 2008

Stilgherrian wrote:

> Having spent a day last week, and another day tomorrow, dealing with
> the fallout from two users who opened the anonymous email with subject
> "You've received a greeting ecard", clicked on the unmasked link to
> an .exe file in a random domain and then, when asked what to do with
> the file, clicked on "Run"... having considered this, I believe the
> discussion of whether NAT does or does not improve security to be
> completely irrelevant kthxbai.

I have received many of these emails. I downloaded the .exe out of
curosity to see what kind of file it was. Couldn't get any further on
the Mac (of course).

What damage does this one do, Stil?

I really hear you regarding the above sequence of events with naive users.
With behaviour like that, all bets are off. Did you recommend these two
users find the box the machine came in and return it pronto?

cheers
rickw

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services || Internet Driving Instructor

Do you realise that in forty years we'll have thousands of old ladies
running around with tattoos and rap music will be the golden oldies?
       -- Maxine