[LINK] iTunes hits Australian higher learning

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:45:26 AEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Brendan Scott

> > And presumably ipods and iphones will become the only way to access these
> universities' lectures.
>
> PS:
> I don't necessarily think making lectures available under iTunes is a bad
> thing.  It's really only a bad thing if the practical consequence is that
> everyone must use iTunes to access the materials.  That is, if it is the
> only channel.

The media is just mp3 and mp4, all open and playable on anything.  The idea
is that iTunes is just another portal to find and organise the media.  The
actual files live on regular department/faculty servers at the uni, in
Australia.  Delivered by HTTP, and accessible through normal web
browsing/downloading.

iTunes isn't the only channel then, but it's a nice app for browsing,
subscribing and downloading series of media.

I'm not the person implementing this at ANU, but will be involved in the
expansion of the service here. Over time, the recorded lectures will be
available in the learning management system as well.

George

--
George Bray, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.