[LINK] Vista and Do Not Record broadcast flags

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jun 18 11:47:18 AEST 2008

Avi Miller wrote:

> On Wed, June 18, 2008 8:37 am, Stilgherrian said:
>> Irony is such a tricky beast... :)
>
> At the risk of drifting even more off-topic, I'd like to point out that I
> learnt everything I know about irony from Alanis Morisette. :)

Did it rain on your wedding day?

<rant>

Back on topic: you attributed "silent" to your Mac-mini.

Mine is anything but. When the CPU usage climbs to a load average
of about 2.0 (single PPC CPU), the fan kicks in. And it is LOUD.
So much for the myth of quiet macs.

If you google for this problem, you will find it is a widespread
and unsolved problem. One has to reboot the mini in a special manner
that resets the PMU  to factory settings (DON'T ASK!) to clear
the faulty condition on the mini and pray that it will calm down
again. But, once the CPU usage starts climbing, in kicks the fan
again.

Also, the Mac-mini goes to sleep when the load average hits about
5.0. Great when the machine is busy, I am busy and a DVD is in the
process of being burnt and I am downloading something. The whole
shebang grinds to a halt.

I have had to become an Apple developer to report bugs like this.
That's fine. But what is interesting is that once you are in the
bug reporting loop you find out that Apple fixes these problems based
on how many times a specific problem has been reported. The loudest
squeak gets oiled so to speak. Not the most severe problems, but the
most commonly reported. Seems misguided IMHO. Or is that guided
by the marketing dept?

Apple ... Microsoft ... ?

</rant>

cheers
rickw

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services || Internet Driving Instructor

... wanted me to be a Win2K admin with "emphasis" on security. That's like
a job as a SCUBA diver with an "emphasis" on keeping things dry.
      -- Anthony de Boer