[LINK] Fears over fee hikes in Labor’s ambitious broadband plans

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 24 07:29:25 AEST 2008

Hmmm. I'm not an economist, and therefore not familiar with the
relativistic behaviour of money (ie, the size of the dollar depends on
the observer's point of view). However ...

With 4 million households (ie, 50% penetration rate), each billion of
revenue over five years needs $50 per household, per year - just over
$4.15 per month. If the required income to pay for the network is $10
billion, then it's just over $41.50 per month per household.

Around $85 - $83 to be precise - per household returns revenue of $20
billion over five years at 50% user penetration.

Let's take the highest estimate of total build cost, $20 billion (from
Pipe Networks). Roughly five billion of that is subsidy, leaving $15
billion. So at the highest estimate, $85 per month represents a margin
of 33% (excluding cost of capital).

So to my ears, the industry's $85 per month estimate sounds somewhat
like rent-seeking-in-advance.

RC