[LINK] Copyright law and the Internet Archive, Canberra, 3 April 2008

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Mar 3 09:41:12 AEDT 2008

Matthew Rimmer is giving a free talk on copyright law and the
Internet Archive, in the Digital Culture Series, at the National
Library of Australia in Canberra, 12:30pm,  3 April 2008.  My
comments on previous National Library Digital Culture talks:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/labels/Digital%20Culture.html>.

>Back to the future: copyright law, Internet Archive and the Wayback Machine
>Dr Matthew Rimmer
>
>Internet Archive provides free 'universal access to human knowledge'
>to researchers, historians, scholars and the general public. Their
>delightfully named Wayback Machine provides access to websites that
>have been significantly altered or may no longer exist.
>Notwithstanding this altruistic endeavour, Internet Archive has been
>embroiled in a number of policy debates over copyright law over the
>extension of copyright term, 'orphan' works, take-down notices,
>digital locks and large-scale digitisation projects. The Internet
>Archive has also been involved in litigation as a plaintiff, a
>defendant, and an amicus curiae (a friend of the court). In the
>light of such policy debate and litigation, there is a need to
>reform digital copyright laws so that digital libraries such as
>Internet Archive can flourish - without fear of disruption from
>copyright owners.
>
>Dr Matthew Rimmer is a senior lecturer and the director of Higher
>Degree Research at the ANU College of Law, and an associate director
>of the Australian Centre for Intellectual Property in Agriculture
>(ACIPA). He holds a BA (Hons) and a University Medal in literature,
>and a LLB (Hons) from the Australian National University, and a PhD
>in law from the University of New South Wales. Rimmer is a member of
>the Copyright and Intellectual Property Advisory Group of the
>Australian Library and Information Association, and a director of
>the Australian Digital Alliance.
>
>Dr Rimmer will be introduced by Laura Simes, Copyright Advisor,
>National Library of Australia
>
>Date: Thursday 3 April 2008
>Time: 12.30 to 13.30
>Venue: Library Theatre
>This talk is free and open to everyone.
>
>Bobby Graham
>Web Content Manager
>Web Publishing Branch, IT Division
>National Library of Australia ...
><http://www.nla.gov.au/>www.nla.gov.au

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU