[LINK] Net charges

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Mar 3 15:38:48 AEDT 2008

At 3:28 +0000 3/3/08, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>And, good luck Roger. My tiny-try-hard home broadband provider, OneWire,
>went belly-up last month, and are flickpassing us on to a Westnet offer
>with free router. So i dont think middle-order net people are makng heaps
>it's simply Australia's outrageous wholesale charges.

Ah, I didn't intend to have a go at TPG for ripping people off.
Apologies if it read that way.  It's not an easy game to make money
in.

My concern is with the inadequate professionalism of the conversion
planning;  overlaid over a longstanding gripe about their
communications mechanisms (a web-form not an email address;  no
replay of the content back to the sender;  no Incident Report
identifier;  days of delay in a human actually responding).  And they
never actually managed to send me advice of change of SMTP
server-address last year, with the result that I was suffering
unpredictable dropouts for some time until a nice Indian? chappie
twigged to what was happening.

What I said:
>[Aside:  TPG says that they are about to upgrade me to ADSL2, at
>their choice not mine, at a time of their choosing, with what
>appears to be extremely poor planning, extremely poor client
>communications, and ongoing slow response to enquiries and
>complaints.  Heaven knows what will happen in the next few days ...]

I should make clear:  if ADSL2 is ready, i.e. someone else has
beta-tested it for me, I'd like to transfer.  But in an orderly
manner, with access to information in advance, and the chance to
pre-print a bunch of FAQs in case it doesn't come up when I switch!

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong