[LINK] ANU Lecture Recordings

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Mar 12 10:20:56 AEDT 2008

Pilcher, Fred wrote:

> I installed the Real Audio player but still had no luck at all. I even
> resorted to Windows, which didn't work either.
>
> If anyone has any clues about what I can do to make these lectures
> available I'd be most grateful. For my own curiosity, I'd be interested
> to know what was in the minds of the people who created this
> monstrosity.

I really wanted the Little Britain audio series from Radio National.
It was presented as Real Audio streaming only.

The relatively easy solution was mplayer on Linux. The instructions
I used are here:

<http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/archives/2004/09/25/howto-capture-streaming-audio-for-later/>

Once you get to the step taht says

("Time passes while mplayer writes a file named “stream.dump”)

the real audio is in a file called stream.dump.

You can rename it to stream.rm and play it on Real Player. I think that
VLC (and perhaps mplayer itself) can now handle real audio as well.
I know that ffmpeg does handle it.

The instructions go on to show you how to convert the real audio
file to a .wav file then an .mp3 file, but I didn't bother.

cheers
rickw