[LINK] RFC: Notebooks and IWBs

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Mar 26 09:39:53 AEDT 2008

At 01:54 AM 21/03/2008, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> > On 19/03/2008, Berkeley Fitzhardinge <edgecb at gmail.com> wrote:
>... notebooks for use with IWBs in a Kimberley Aboriginal school....
>Invidia or AYI graphics adapter rather than say the Intel one. ...
>school's budget is around $1400 per notebook for the 6 new
>ones.  The requested operating system is Windows XP. ...

The graphics adaptor in the laptop is not an issue, unless a specific
one is required by the software which comes with the Interactive
White Board (IWB)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_whiteboard>. But it is
preferable that the computer is set to the native resolution of the
video projector used in the IWB.

As you point out, the aspect ratio of the laptop and IWB should be
the same (a 3:4 laptop should be used with a 3:4 projector and a wide
screen laptop in the unlikely event you have a wide screen IWB).
However, it can be uncomfortable using a laptop for extended periods
and so it might be better to use a desktop LCD display, mouse and
keyboard, instead of the laptop interface. In that case it doesn't
matter what screen the laptop has, as it will not be used.

Another issue is what software the IWB expects for the pointer
interface (IWBs don't just display a picture, they let you interact
with it). You need to make sure the laptop has enough memory and a
suitable driver is available for the operating system. If the laptop
is only going to be used to drive the IWB, then it need not be high
performance. One for around $500 might do (then you can buy a laptop
with the leftover money).

If the computer is going to be permanently attached to the IWB, then
a desktop PC might be better than a laptop. This will be cheaper and
you can secure it in place better. As an extreme example I have
suggested computers and IWBs be built into the walls of classrooms.

ASUS are bringing out new models of their Eee PC which could be very
useful for a classroom:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/02/desktop-and-screen-mounted-eee-pcs.html>.
The "E-DT" is to be a desktop version for under $US300, due by May
2008, which will be in a small box. This will essentially be the
components of the Eeee PC notebook, minus the screen, keyboard and
battery. So should be robust, as well as cheap. Other companies will
have similar products, or at the very least you can threaten to buy
an ASUS one, to get a better price on a conventional computer from
your current supplier.  ;-)

See also my proposal for building prefabricated classrooms for
indigenous communities
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/07/flexible-learning-modules-for.html>.
The bit about parachuting them out of the back of RAAF C-17 transport
aircraft (with the teachers strapped in their seats), was not to be
take seriously.  ;-)

See also: Flexible learning
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/labels/flexible%20learning%20centre.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU