[LINK] ArsT: 'Microsoft Word, RIP: 1983 - 2009'

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Aug 4 07:33:10 AEST 2009

On 03/08/2009, at 9:48 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> Ars writer Jeremy Reimer contemplates the life and times of Microsoft
> Word, the reasons it has endured for so long, and its (lack of?)
> prospects in a post-print, wiki-based world.

I believe that his initial premise is faulty: that all documents
require a level of collaboration best achieved through a wiki, and
that the final documents are shared amongst a number of people. This
is one function of Word that has its drawbacks, but it's not the
reason for Word to die.

I agree with much of what he said, and I actually wince whenever
anyone sends me an attachment which could easily have been embedded as
plain text in an e-mail. Some people have a penchant for bullet
points, headings, tabs, and the joys of document dressing up (and
generally do it badly, without any reference to the very powerful
stylesheet functions built into all word processors, including Word).

I do not agree that Wikis are the Nirvana that all people are seeking:
and yet I work in an environment where collaborative text work is my
bread and butter (and pays my wage). The entire workflow process of
wikis is far too democratic, which means that a lot of work is spent
sifting through disjointed thoughts and unstructured thinking (or work
from multiple sources which each has a different focus).

There are many times when democracy in writing is an asset, especially
on well-focussed material that requires what I would otherwise refer
to as 'documentation'. But there are as many times and more when the
authorship is more important, and the process of writing becomes
iterative but autocratic.

Different strokes for different folks: but it really does depend on
what process is preferred, what output and readership is sought - Word
offers a solution for many people which I believe will continue as
long as people wish to write. But wikis will have their place too.

How else would a novelist write anything? (Declaration 1: as much as I
loathe Word, I have in the past written a 65,000-word book with the
infernal software. Declaration 2: you'd have to drag me screaming and
kicking to use it for most purposes, but I am yet to find an
alternative that would work as well for the same number of words - as
much as I have tried).

iT