[LINK] domain name 'stolen' and 'sold'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Aug 5 11:02:05 AEST 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/charges-laid-over-domain-name-theft-20090804-e7wo.html
Charges laid over domain name theft
August 4, 2009 - 11:43AM

A man is charged with stealing a prime piece of internet real estate
and reselling it to a NBA basketball player in one of the world's
first prosecutions of a suspected domain name thief.

Daniel Goncalves, 25, of Union in northern New Jersey, hacked into an
online account belonging to one of the owners of the P2P.com domain
name, New Jersey State Police said on Monday.

He allegedly shifted ownership to himself and resold the website
address on eBay to basketballer Mark Madsen, a Los Angeles Clippers
forward who did not know the name was stolen.

Goncalves, who works for an online research firm, was arrested on
Thursday on felony charges of theft by unlawful taking or deception,
identity theft and computer theft.
[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com