[LINK] Fibre gets nimble: small telcos weaving fiber web

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sun Aug 9 21:25:54 AEST 2009

Lord, mention demographics and the world is full of exceptions to the
rule...

Please, Jan and Scott, remember that I was responding to a particular
question, "If X can't do it why can't we?" and pointing out some
specific and measurable differences.

Having spent some years wandering around Australia's population data,
the things that impress me are (1) we're big and (2) we're empty. We
have a handful of population agglomerations, and apart from that, we've
got less than 0.2 people per square km (ie, subtract the cities and
their landmass from the nation and its landmass, and that's what you get).

So "why can't Australia do what America does?" is reasonably answered by
pointing out the differences.

I've also seen a host of "we will do local!!!" carriers come and go over
the years. Green Telecom, a fibre carrier proposed for the Snowy
Mountains, Orange Telecom (not to be confused with the Hurtch brand
Orange), a couple in Queensland ... not to mention the stupid proposal
that a minor Canadian carrier would pull fibre all over the Hunter
valley, not to mention Bright Telecom, and numerous others.

It can't *all* be set down to regulation and Telstra; some of it is just
scale.

RC