[LINK] defining broadband

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Aug 23 10:58:07 AEST 2009

At 10:24 AM 23/08/2009, Tom Worthington wrote:
>  From the article quoted it appears the USA uses 768 kbps. I wonder why
>they used that figure, as it does not seem to match any technical
>standard. Perhaps it is the speed which enough marginal voters can get
>to influence a US election?

My guess is that it is some sort of median
figure. It's half the 1.5mb ADSL level.

I went on a search to see what was on offer.
Cable delivery [like Foxtel] is a big advantage
in the US because of the pervasive cabling for TV already in place.

For an interesting take on head to head
competition of DSL and Cable company offerings,
check this out. It's from a Comcast site, so
there is bias. Every other ad on the right side
is for cable rather than copper.
http://www.broadbandinfo.com/comcast/high-speed-internet/comcast-vs-verizon.html
I found the 768: it's for Upload speeds. Interesting.
"Speed – Verizon DSL high-speed Internet offers
download speeds up to 7.1 Mbps and upload speeds up to 768 Kbps."

BTW, they aren't called marginal voters, btw.
Independent, swinging, or non-committed.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer