[LINK] 'Soupnazi' hacker accepts plea deal

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Aug 30 09:42:34 AEST 2009

"'Soupnazi' hacker accepts plea deal

Tamara Lush
August 29, 2009 - 9:38AM

A computer hacker accused of masterminding one of the largest cases
of identity theft in US history has agreed to plead guilty and serve
up to 25 years in federal prison for his crimes.

Albert Gonzalez of Miami was charged with conspiracy, wire fraud and
aggravated identity theft charges in federal courts in New York and
Boston. Court documents filed in federal court in Boston indicate the
28-year-old Gonzalez agreed on Friday to plead guilty to 19 counts
and combine the two cases in federal court in Massachusetts.

Additional charges against Gonzalez are still pending in New Jersey
but they are not currently part of the plea deal.

The Miami man is accused of swiping the credit and debit card numbers
of more than 170 million accounts. Officials said Gonzalez was the
ringleader of a group that targeted large companies such as T.J.
Maxx, Barnes and Noble, Sports Authority and OfficeMax, among others.
..." (30 August 2009)
      http://www.theage.com.au/action/printArticle?id=704471
      http://snipurl.com/rhe7d

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia