[LINK] Bush Fire Speeds (was Re: home emergencies)

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Fri Feb 20 15:08:26 AEDT 2009

Roger wrote:

> That was part of what I was endeavouring to convey with the
> excerpts from the Canberra Coroner's Report.  I may have been
> too vague, sorry.

The fault was mine - I posted before I'd read your note. ;-)

Still, the article I was thinking of was something I'd read a few days
ago - it may have been in the local rag.

Robin wrote:

> ITWPITBB (If the WikiPedia Is To Be Believed) the major oil in
> eucalypts is Cineol / Eucalyptol (C10-H18-O):

I'm pretty sure that cineol was what the article mentioned and that the
49 degree flash point with the 50 ambient temperature was the issue.

Again from Wikipedia:

"The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at
which it can form an ignitable mixture in air. "

It all makes sense.

Fred