[LINK] Fwd: Today on Catch - Asus EEE PC 701 Netbook only $259.90

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jun 5 17:01:15 AEST 2009

Brendan Scott wrote:
> Not really the point.  I understand Linux versions are also available in Taiwan/Asia.  However, they seem to be deliberately unavailable in AU.

It's the same with Dell.  Before the Mini 9 was discontinued, Dell
US offered it with Ubuntu as an option, but in Australia there was
no way to avoid paying for Windows XP.

On the US web site, the Dell page for the new Mini 10 has clear options
"Customize" and "Customize with Ubuntu".  I'll be very surprised if
they're there when the Mini 10 goes on sale in Australia...

Danny.
  http://dannyreviews.com/ - one thousand book reviews
  http://wanderingdanny.com/ - travelogues + photos
  http://danny.oz.au/ - information activism, blog