[LINK] music industry goes after public performance

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Mon Jun 15 11:45:23 AEST 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Brendan Scott wrote:

> Jan Whitaker wrote:
> []
>>
>> CAFE and restaurant patrons could soon be eating in silence, after a
>> proposal by Australia's largest record labels to increase the cost of
>> background music by up to 2000 times.
>
> Don't they realise how expensive advertising is?  The cafe owners should be compensated.
> http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/artists-should-pay-cafes/

The upside (maybe) is that musicians who are not doing so well in the biz might actually
get a break that allows their repertoire to be heard in a context that they have been
formerly locked out of.  Let a million flowers bloom, dammit.

OK I will get the stars out of my eyes and the flowers out of my hair and come down to
earth and state, as Hunter S Thompson has been so famously misquoted:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where
thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html