[LINK] IT transformation hurt some customers: Telstra

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Jun 25 09:49:43 AEST 2009

IT transformation hurt some customers: Telstra
Correspondents in Melbourne
June 24, 2009
The AUstralian
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25684408-15306,00.html

TELSTRA has admitted its push to implement new technology during the
past four years has harmed its relationship with some customers.

Telstra's chief financial officer John Stanhope on Wednesday said he
would rectify the problem by vowing to improve the telco's performance
in coming years.

"We are aware that customer complaint levels increased in some areas of
the business," Mr Stanhope said in a speech to a business luncheon.

"It is true to say that when you undertake a transformation of the size
that we have, particularly in the IT world, then you are playing around
with 1400 to 1500 systems, it is not an easy task.

"So we realise that is has impacted some customers, mostly well, in a
favourable way, but of course some have experienced issues, and we are
aware of that," he said.

He said that "as a priority" the situation would be rectified.

Mr Stanhope outlined the changes made at the telco since 2005,
nominating four key elements that have transformed the company's operations.

He said wireless Next G, Wireline IP, market-based management and IT
transformations had led the changes.

"The world-class networks have been built, new IT systems are in place
and the transformation is now about taking the customer experience to
the next level," he said.

He said the company had moved on from "old Telstra" that was regulatory
focused and characterised by sameness rather than differentiation.

Asked whether customers were aware of Telstra's moves to become more
focused on their needs, Mr Stanhope said the company had done a
"reasonable job" in letting people know of new services.

"Really customers really need to experience it for themselves," he said.

AAP

--

Regards
brd