[LINK] Telstra to do SMS message

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Mar 2 15:13:09 AEDT 2009

At 03:01 PM 2/03/2009, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>Tom Worthington wrote:
>>>http://www.theage.com.au/national/telstra-to-send-fire-warning-sms-20090302-8lxv.html
>>>
>>>Telstra to send fire warning SMS ...
>...but from above article, it seems the Victorian Government has
>invoked some emergency powers ...

The state government doesn't have any emergency powers over Telstra;
that is a federal matter. But usually the telcos will cooperate in an
emergency without a formal instruction. The heads of the federal and
Victorian emergency agencies are on a conference panel in front of me
at APCOA 2009 the moment, so I guess I could ask them.

The Victorians are talking about the new mobile emergency command
post they got just before the fires and have put to good use.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University