[LINK] Telstra to do SMS message

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Mar 3 09:35:23 AEDT 2009

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Even though this was the first Vic state-wide SMS elert (Telstra, 2:46pm,
> from 61437985455, different to Jan's send number), it seems to have done
> what it was intended to, but i wonder about a tenth/hundredth repitition.
If the trial was to test the ability to send millions of mostly useless
text messages to people who already knew what to do (ie listen to the
radio) then it might have been a success.

However, I heard on the radio this morning that what is needed is a
national emergency system that gets to those people who do not follow
the news via newspapers, radio or TV. Is it likely that these people
have mobiles?

And secondly, my experience of the Canberra fires tells me that it is
very specific location information that is needed, on a street by street
basis, not a broadcast message telling me to listen to the radio, which
gave me no additional help anyway.

SMS and the web seem very unreliable and blunt weapons to use in these
circumstances.

I still think that education and survival strategies/mechanisms broadly
aimed at a range of potential dangers is likely to be more productive.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn