[LINK] 'Interactive' books for kids

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 22:38:24 AEDT 2009

I had a brief look at a couple of these. They remind me very strongly of the
"multimedia CD-ROMs" that were around in 1994 or so (thanks for making me
feel old), stilted American voices reading the words on screen, clumsy
interfaces that vary from title to title at the whim of the designer,
limited animation and an almost powerpoint like linear progression. Very
clunky. I suppose it might be an achievement to have these work via flash
over the network, but my first reaction was "how quaint".
My second reaction was that my 8yro would find them more boring than a real
book, and my 5yro would lose interest pretty quickly too. Seeing how the
prices quoted were $1000, presumably for a library or school subscription, I
can't imagine who the audience for these would be. If the kids are really
taking to these "like ducks to water" I can only assume they have been in
some time warp from 1989 and have never seen a computer before.
Thanks for passing it on all the same.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs