[LINK] Solitaire

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 10 12:16:16 AEDT 2009

> > Just curious ..
> >
> > Has anyone noticed that when you get to the end of a game of Solitaire
> > (the version that comes with Windows) and the cards 'waterfall' one at
> > a time your mouse effects the speed & bounce of these cascading cards?
> >
> > . or, is it my imagination?
>
> It is all to do with interrupts and ioctl algorithms.

Thanks R ..

And yes .. my initial thought also .. but the cards speed-up when the
mouse is moved quickly, and slow down when it's moved slowly, and for
me will even seem to keep time with the mouse when bouncing, a little
bit anyway .. so does not seem CPU etc related.. tho i may imagine it?

> Your mouse is hooked into a buss and is probably interrupt driven,
> occasionally when you move the mouse the interrupts have to tell
> the screen when to update the cursor posn and so on.
>
> I can do this on my Sun workstation if I run a film on youtube and
> grab the browser or scrollbar with the mouse and move the window
> around like mad.   The interrupts will run and the screen will
> take time to refresh and the video playback will be jerky.
>
> I can do it on my Mac by adjusting the latency of my audio
> device and type madly into the keyboard and wave the mouse
> around.   It will cause the audio to break up when the settings
> are at stupid defined levels.
>
> I am speaking in very broad, newby, nontech brush strokes
> here so someone who is more anal^H^H^H^Htechnically interested
> can give a better explanation.
>
> Computers are still using basic concepts from 20 years ago
> where there are probably much better ways of doing things
> that do not impact the system as much.
>

> rachel
>
> --
> Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney,
Australia
http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html
>  		The price of greatness is responsibility.

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server