[LINK] Information controls in the Age of Information

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sat Mar 21 14:33:59 AEDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 at 11:06:59 +1100 Paul Brooks wrote:
> ... the kind of material that we might universally like to see blocked ...
I contend that there is no such thing as "information that _we_ *would*
universally like to see blocked".

Put another way: what role (if any) does censorship (or any other sort
of information control) have?

Australia is, nominally, a free and open democracy. We live in the
Information Age, of which the Internet is part. Are attempts to control
information consistent with that environment?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 at 17:18:37 +0000 Leah Manta wrote:
> Child Abuse and Child Porn sites, fine, nail them, why there isn't a
> GLOBAL set of legal treaties with EVERY GOVERNMENT of EVERY COUNTRY
> on this issue so that the word "Jurisdiction" can never be spoken is
> just completely beyond my understanding.
Agreed. The information in question is abhorrent. What is most important:
- stopping the dissemination of that information or
- preventing the creation of more of it (with the associated abuses)?

In both, criminal sanctions against the source(s) are most likely to
succeed. That is; traditional policing, not a cheap technical fix.

I liken filtering to having someone cover my eyes and ears, so I can't
see or hear another person being attacked. The attack still happens, I
just don't know about it.

Maybe that's what the proponents of filtering are really about: they
want to be able to pretend that child abuse isn't happening.

--
David Boxall                    |  All that is required