[LINK] Police raid home of Wikileaks.de domain owner over censorship lists

Leah Manta link at fly.to
Wed Mar 25 23:14:35 AEDT 2009

At 11:47 25/03/2009, Kim Holburn wrote:
>http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Police_raid_home_of_Wikileaks.de_domain_owner_over_censorship_lists
>Seems possible this is the result of wikileaks publishing the ACMA
>list which included links to sites with child pornography:

[snip] other relevant stuff about Minister and Black Lists.

Books, Magazines, Movies and Video games that are classified RC are
listed in a public access database.

This means anyone can find out the title of such products that are
'censored' or 'banned'

I don't think ANYONE objects to the Blacklist being kept secret from
the perspective of the URLs themselves.

The issue is "What's in the list" to prevent abuse of the list
listing Dentists and Opposing Political Views and so on.

I feel that if instead of arguing about exposing the list, which then
makes URLs (that probably change every 48 hours anyway if they are
porn or child abuse) visible to people to be curious about "to gawk"
and "rubber neck", why can't everyone focus on a method of giving
Title to the URLs that are being listed.

A Public Database that lists the:
- DATE of entry into the database,
- classification it would receive (because the URLs are NOT
classified officially through application, they are just 'presumed to
receive' a specific classification)
- Title of the page (or site)
- Description of the page or content.  "Bestiality" or "Child Pornography"
- The Geographical location (may be assumption too) of the site
- Reason for Listing  (5 multiple choice options perhaps, I can't
imagine there would be many variations, but they can always be added.)

I'd then recommend, that any domain name that does not contain
obvious keywords related to inappropriate sexual content or weapons
or terrorism or whatever, be provided in the listing.  In most cases
on the 2nd level and TLD will be required.  Looking over the
published list I'd feel fairly confident this would be satisfactory.

The result is that people can then check their domain names to see if
they are listed - by accident or otherwise, and the reasons.  Then a
Speedy remedy can be applied to have the entry removed from the list.

Domain names like MANY of the ones on the published list are
blatantly obvious and really don't need to be displayed as they serve
no purpose to anyone genuinely concerned about social protection.

Social Protection includes not only the Viewer, but the children,
women, men, animals, and lives of ALL people who could be affected by
the creation or, action upon or the use of the material published
under the banned URLs.

Does this make sense or what?

It's simple to activate.  In fact the original complaint for a URL
could also be anonymously published in the database so we can all see
the process is in fact working.