[LINK] [AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Thu Mar 26 17:52:48 AEDT 2009

On 26/03/2009, at 5:42 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Circa 1988/9 in Sydney, I recall setting up a Vax (DEC) file server
> to allow PC
> and Mac users to share/exchange files. It may have been DECNET/
> Appletalk
> and DECNET?? for the MSWindows PCs...and Rainbows.

Probably Dec Pathworks which ran MS Lan manager 2.1 over DECNET on
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Pathworks for Mac.  We ran both around
then when I was at the Department of Health.

It was chosen as the Department's PC networking standard in a trial
against Netware 3.11 over Token Ring.

> From memory, the network gurus were all for TCP/IP but at the time,
> there
> wasn't the support for things like filesharing. But I could be wrong
> and the PCs
> may have  been runnig TCP/IP.

Our network guys were also for TCP/IP but the government was still
enamoured with GOSIP and DECNET was claimed to be moving towards GOSIP
compliance.

Carl.