[LINK] Fwd: Expert Panel: The Seven Stages of IPv6 Adoption

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 28 01:18:41 AEDT 2009

Karl writes,

> felt that the difference between six months and 500 billion years
> was worth mentioning. Seems significant to me..

Indeed, though this IPv6 trinkets site claims just over two years left.

www.ipv6forum.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=51

Whatever, roll on IPv6.  Although, unhappily, VERY few important world
organizations seem anywhere near IPv6 ready, just 4 days ago. See here:

An IPv6 Status Survey:  http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html

"During a recent meeting at Fermilab, Ron Broersma of Defense Research
and Engineering Network (DREN) included a scorecard in his presentation
that tried to quantify how well major organisations were embracing IPv6.

I thought that this was such a fine idea that I’ve decided to replicate
it here ...

While some ISPs might argue that their networks support IPv6 (and that
they use it every day) because they have an IPv6 prefix that is announced
to the world I tend to believe in “eating ones own dog food” and so it’s
more important to be seen to be using it in some meaningful way rather
than potentially have a single host generate a suitable BGP announcement.

Therefore like Ron I have identified some services and use them as an
indicator of usage.

1.Web server accessible via IPv6;

2.Email deliverable via IPv6;

3.DNS name servers accessible via IPv6;

4.An NTP service accessible via IPv6; and

5.A Jabber service accessible via IPv6

Partial points are awarded if you have an accessible “www.ipv6.$domain”
site. I also now look for “ipv6.$domain” too but that’s the limit. I
think a “normal” user would give up after trying them, assuming they even
try.

Similarly partial points are also awarded if a secondary MX supports IPv6
but the primary does not although in reality an IPv6 only host can
communicate with the domain if the secondary is accessible via IPv6 and
the secondary can then use some other method to reach the primary to
deliver the email.

Partial points are also awarded if some but not all DNS name servers have
IPv6 addresses. I attempt to check if it is the organisation who has the
IPv6 accessible DNS servers or if it’s just a secondary (this falls down
if the organisation uses a different domain for it’s services).

The numbers in the cell are the organisation’s DNS servers with IPv6
access, total IPv6 accessible DNS servers and finally total number of DNS
servers.

For a Jabber service (xmpp-client), this is tested by looking for an
appropriate SRV DNS resource record. If there isn’t a record then the
cell will be gray (status unknown). If there is only IPv4 addresses
listed then the cell is red (fail). If it’s inaccessible, possibly caused
by a firewall, that results in an orange (partial) cell and finally if
the service is accessible via IPv6 then success is claimed and the cell
is green.

For a NTP service I look for a AAAA record on “ntp.$domain” and if it
exists I attempt to perform a “ntpdate” to it. If the stratum looks OK
then you get a green cell.

A gray cell indicates some, unspecified, problem with the data collection.

The list should update weekly and suggestions for additions are welcome.

There is also a CGI script to test a domain that is not already in the
list at:  http://www.mrp.net/cgi-bin/ipv6-status.cgi (end quote)

--

And, following the above is an extensive list of important world bodies.

Perhaps of interest, of the 40 Australian Universities, Monash U is the
only only anywhere near ready (3 green cell results of five) and of the
thousand (?) listed, just 4 major world organizations receive all green
cell ratings, one of them being www.aussiehq.com.au

--

Cheers,
Stephen