[LINK] 'A short history of cloud computing outages'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Oct 14 16:50:00 AEDT 2009

Ivan Trundle wrote:
> Isn't using IMAP really just part of cloud computing? Or using GMail
> on the web? Or Facebook?
>
> Curious, since some people are reading more into this than I am.
NIST have a definition of cloud computing which some people consider to
be reasonably definitive. It's at:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/cloud-computing/cloud-def-v15.doc

It starts off with two notes:

Note 1: Cloud computing is still an evolving paradigm. Its definitions,
use cases, underlying technologies, issues, risks, and benefits will be
refined in a spirited debate by the public and private sectors. These
definitions, attributes, and characteristics will evolve and change over
time.

Note 2: The cloud computing industry represents a large ecosystem of
many models, vendors, and market niches. This definition attempts to
encompass all of the various cloud approaches.
Definition of Cloud Computing:

And then here's the definition:
Cloud computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network
access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g.,
networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be
rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or
service provider interaction. This cloud model promotes availability and
is composed of five essential characteristics, three service models, and
four deployment models.

The rest of the document defines the essential characteristics and the
models.

The mainframe timesharing model of the 70's can fit this definition. The
only thing new is the degree and speed of configurability of the
infrastructure.

If you find yourself talking to a Cloud Computing evangelist (and you
have my sympathies) just ask them about the downside or dangers of cloud
computing. Their reply should be illuminating. It doesn't matter what
they say as long as they have some appreciation of the problems. If they
haven't thought about them and can't tell you something, then just smile
and walk away. You've probably got better uses for your time.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn