[LINK] "Men at work" up a gum tree

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Feb 4 18:18:19 AEDT 2010

At 05:34 PM 4/02/2010, Kim Holburn you wrote:

>http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/04/2809848.htm
>
> > Men at Work plundered Kookaburra riff: court
> > Iconic Australian rockers Men at Work could be facing a hefty legal

Yeah, but it's similar, not exact. I'd like to see the overlay of the
transcription of the tunes. There are limited combinations. There are
only 12 tones. I wonder what was presented in evidence or if the
judge just listened and 'heard' what he was told by the lawyers.
There are lots of riffs that are similar in modern songs from earlier pieces.

As a theme, it could also be said to be a variation on the main
melody, which is what Beethoven and Bach did. It's a natural musical
technique. I would hope that the 'men' at work are musically adept to
make that case.

Anyway, I hope they appeal.

Men at Work ripped off Kookaburra for Downunder | The Courier-Mail (4
February 2010)
  http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26676562-5012980,00.html
  http://snipurl.com/u9odc
"But he said a Qantas advertisement, which also used a small similar
section of the riff, was not in breach of copyright laws."

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com