[LINK] "Men at work" up a gum tree

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Feb 5 11:34:29 AEDT 2010

Jan Whitaker wrote:
<snip>
> "The flute riff in Down Under does not consist
> solely of the two bars of Kookaburra. Indeed,
> where it first appears in the 1981 recording,
> immediately after the percussion introduction,
> the flute riff contains only the second bar of Kookaburra. "
<snip>
In the clips, I caught on the news, the flautist is sitting
on the branch of a gum tree!

As an ex-girl guide I learnt, to sing the song, as a round,
sitting around a campfire and kids were also taught it in
the wider community and internationally. This familiarity
could well have triggered subliminal recognition, which
contributed to the success of the men at work song.

What other songs did men at work have? I see similarities to
cadbury's claim to a colour.

> “Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree” was written more than 70 years ago by Australian teacher Marion Sinclair for a Girl Guides competition, and the song has been a favourite around campfires from New Zealand to Canada.
<http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/760478--men-at-work-plagiarized-girl-guides-song-court-rules>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz