[LINK] ZDnet: 'SA awards $30m e-ticketing contract'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Feb 10 13:55:01 AEDT 2010

[Maybe *this* one will work?]

SA awards $30m e-ticketing contract
By Colin Ho, ZDNet.com.au
09 February 2010 12:17 PM
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/soa/SA-awards-30m-e-ticketing-contract/0,139023166,339300918,00.htm?omnRef=1337

SA Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said that the state had awarded
a $30 million contract to IT services company Affiliated Computer
Services (ACS) to implement an electronic ticketing system for the
state by 2013.

"Our current ticketing system has been in place for nearly 24 years -
it has served us well but it is time to replace it as we continue our
massive public transport revitalisation," Conlon said in a release.
"We expect to see the new smart card ticketing system in operation by
2013 in time for the commencement of electric rail services in
Adelaide."

ACS, a subsidiary of the Xerox corporation, would be responsible for
the manufacturing, testing, installation, technical support and
maintenance of the ticketing and fare collecting system, which it has
called ATLAS.
The company has already supplied Adelaide with its existing Crouzet
ticketing system.

"We are taking advantage of proven technology, with this system and
equipment already in operation in cities overseas such as Montreal,
Houston and Toulouse," the transport minister said. "Adelaide also
has the advantage of an existing integrated fare and ticketing system
supported by the smart card system."

Adelaide will be following Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Brisbane and
Sydney in adopting an e-ticketing system for its public transport.

However, Sydney's push to introduce a ticketing system has
encountered issues, with the cancellation of the signed contract with
vendor ITSL and the start of a new tendering process in the works.

Melbourne has just rolled out its ticketing system on trains, but has
yet to implement the system on buses or trams. Perth and Brisbane
have working systems.

Current Adelaide public transport tickets will remain valid after the
introduction of the new system.

In the ABC report, the Minister said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/09/2813881.htm
>"Sometimes in life you're better off one out, one back than trying
>to lead the field and that's the position we're in," he said.
>"We've seen what's happened elsewhere, we've deliberately shaped our
>strategy around some of the difficulties that have happened
>elsewhere and we're very confident we'll introduce a system without
>any problems."

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916