[LINK] Google (maybe) changes Buzz

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Feb 15 17:10:36 AEDT 2010

On 15/02/2010, at 4:58 PM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> I hate this process of software 'improvement' by proxy. Why can't they get it right the first time, and not wait for users to complain about such obvious shortcomings?

I think John Naughton got it right.

"Google blunders sometimes because Brin and Page tend to approach things with the simplistic directness of engineers."

http://memex.naughtons.org/archives/2010/02/14/10120

They see that something can be done, they think it's cool, and it simply surprises them that other people might think differently. That blog post is well worth a read.

A Google person at a much lower level was telling me the other day about their plan to help digitise all of the Aboriginal languages which are under threat from extinction. He was truly amazed that some communities simply didn't want it to happen, because they were THEIR languages and if they died with them, so be it.

It is simply immense hubris. Techno-uptopianism, or something.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia