[LINK] Australians will have to have antivirus software?

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 22 16:43:53 AEST 2010

Kim,

To specifically clarify the "unauthorised installation of software",
here is the recommendation in full:

> That the Treasurer amend the Australian Consumer Law to include
> specific protections against the unauthorised installation of software
> programs:
> ? the reform should target the unauthorised installation of programs
> that monitor, collect, and disclose information about end users’
> Internet purchasing and Internet browsing activity;
> ? the authority to install a software program must be based on
> informed consent; and
> ? to obtain informed consent the licence/agreement must require clear
> accessible and unambiguous language.
I think what's in mind here is "unauthorised by the user". It could be
more clearly put: "make it illegal to install software on a user's
computer without their informed consent".

So, no, the report is not proposing to force all software to carry a
government endorsement.

(Reports on the report are very superficial, and as a result, there's a
veritable tsunami of misinformation already. For eg: it's not "Labor
plans to force us to install virus scanners", it's "a government task
force which didn't even include Conroy among its members has published a
report which includes a recommendation" etc. But the first one is
shorter, punchier, and pushes readers' buttons.

RC