[LINK] Ergas article in the Oz

Crispin Harris crispin.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 18:23:39 AEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Richard Chirgwin
<rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au>wrote:

> > I agree re the competition of the two/three systems to keep prices
> > down.
> I'm not so inclined to see this as an issue. We don't have a competitive
> consumer access network today on the copper - with the limited exception
> of HFC, every fixed customer network is a monopoly.
>
> I am excluding the discussion of corporate-level fibre networks here...
>
> 1. Twisted pair network - Telstra.
> 2. HFC network - Telstra and Optus, but limited capacity for expansion
> either of footprint or of customer base. No competitive service provision.
> 2a. Some localised HFC networks exist - Neighborhood Cable (owned by
> TransACT), e-Wire in WA, and an Austar system in Darwin. That's all I
> can call to mind.
> 3. Consumer fibre - only in new housing estates, and only as a local
> monopoly.

And even then (3) is not really a *retail* competitive environment anyway.

This is one of the nastiest little scams that I have seen for a while. A
frend of mine recently bought a house in a new greenfields estate with FTTH.
After months of discussion and reading the relevant regulations, he realised
that the FTTH environment was a Telstra Bigpond closed shop and that
bringing in another provider would require spending BIG $$, pre-signing
multiple customers in the estate and the external provider was not allowed
to start the process of adding equipment until the estate was officially
'handed off' (about 85% of houses completed, all services installed and
operational, an most houses occupied for > 6 months).

After further discussion, he was advised that his service would be more
expensive (and slower) than the current ADSL2+ Telstra service in the rental
he was moving out of.

To top it all off, he was advised that this was neither anti-competitive,
nor a restraint on trade - because it was part (and un-specified part) of
the contract of sale for the house - the estate company were required to
provide access to a telephony service, but nothing said that they had to
provide access to a comptitive service.

Sigh.

> So: the NBN replaces (1) and has a mechanism for incorporating (3) into
> the architecture. The new deal excludes Telstra's HFC network from the
> broadband market (timetable to be set), but doesn't involve removing the
> HFC network completely.

<snip>

(My own pet peeve - sorry)

Cheers,
  Crispin
--
Crispin Harris
crispin.harris at gmail.com
"A great deal of Security is unfortunately just like the underwear of
Brittany Spears.
If it's even there at all, it is needlessly complex and frilly; looks good
without actually covering much; and is far to easy to get around or remove
completely."
- David Boston

Marriage (n): a natural institution whereby a man and a woman give
themselves to each other for life in an exclusive sexual relationship that
is open to procreation.
-Definition compliements of Cardinal George Pell, Catholic Archdioces of
Syndey