[LINK] NBN take-up in Tassie
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Oct 22 19:32:42 EST 2010
One in 10 of first 4000 offered sign up for a service on NBN
October 22, 2010 - 5:10PM
About 11 per cent of Tasmanians who were offered to become NBN-ready
in the first three towns have taken up a service, figures revealed in
senate estimates this week show.
* 4000 premises were offered to be NBN-ready.
* 51% (2040) consented to being NBN-ready.
* Of that 51%, 21.3% have taken up a service
* Of the initial 4000, 10.9% (436) have taken up a service.
So far, 51 per cent (2040) of the 4000 premises offered a connection
in Tasmania have consented in the first three towns to a box being
installed on the outside of their building that is required if they
wish to connect to the NBN at some point.
Australians will be required to connect to the NBN if they wish to
retain their fixed-line phone service, or transition their ADSL
broadband connection from Telstra's copper-based network, once
Telstra's copper is decommissioned.
Of the 4000 who were offered an NBN connection, 10.9 per cent (436)
have taken up a service with a retail service provider such as
Communications Minister Senator Stephen Conroy yesterday said that in
Tasmania "take up rates have been strong".
"This represents strong interest from residents in taking up
fibre-based services now and into the future," he said.
He suggested that it was likely many in Tasmania who wanted to
connect to the new fibre-based network were still on contracts with
their current internet provider.
"Most customers will have to see out existing contracts before they
can make the switch to the NBN but as more retail service providers
come on board, they will be able to transfer their customers sooner," he said.
He also said that the $25 million NBN Implementation Study by
KPMG-McKinsey found that the NBN would be "viable,with affordable
prices for consumers, on the basis of take up of premises passed of
between 6-12 per cent per year.
"NBN Co is already at the top end of that range after justth four
months," he said.
The Coalition reportedly
The Australian that the 11 per cent take-up rate was "appallingly low".
The NBN will connect 93 per cent of the nation to a fibre network
that is planned to replace the existing copper network owned by
Telstra if the company's shareholders approve an
billion deal for transfering customers on to the new network.
Telstra's CEO, David Thodey, has urged his shareholders to
Those not in the fibre footprint will be served by either wireless or
Until the deal with Telstra is aproved, NBN Co, the company charged
with building the network, is offering connections to the new
fibre-based network at no cost and on an opt-in basis, whereby
home-owners or occupiers of premises have to fill in a consent form
so that it can install the box required on the outside of premises so
the network can be used.
Conroy this week told this website that he was considering to
the NBN connection upon every house or business, to ensure all had
the opportunity to use it. The Tasmanian government is considering
passing laws that would instead make the NBN opt-out, meaning
paperwork would need to be filled in if you didn't want to connect to it.
Recent figures showed people consenting to have the connection
equipment installed was
on the mainland.
The author of this post is on Twitter:
This story was found at:
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Our truest response to the irrationality of the world is to paint or
sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer
_ __________________ _
More information about the Link