[LINK] Abbott orders Turnbull to demolish NBN

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Sep 14 22:15:00 AEST 2010

At 20:24 +1000 14/9/10, Kim Holburn wrote:
>Why is it I wonder that Abbot hates the NBN so much?  ...

Because it provides him with an employment insurance policy?

>http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/14/3011557.htm
>>  Tony Abbott has ordered Malcolm Turnbull to "demolish" the
>>  Government's National Broadband Network (NBN)
>>  Declaring the NBN would be the "absolute focus" of the political
>>  battle of the next 18 months, Mr Abbott said he could think of no
>>  better person to "ferociously" hold the Government to account on the
>>  issue.

In accepting the job, Turnbull has agreed that he will convince
multiple supporters of the NBN to turn against it.  No challenge to
come up with a strategy, no need to form new policy, just stay on
one, lonely issue for as long as it takes.

If Turnbull fails that task, he's failed his part of the bargain.

Added to that, the requirement for Shadow Cabinet solidarity will
muzzle Turnbull on all the important topics-areas (climate change,
water, health, ed, above all the economy).

Abbott gambled that, even when the offer was a poisoned chalice,
Turnbull's ego wouldn't let him remain a back-bencher;  and Abbott
got it right.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916