[LINK] Context aware computers

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 17 04:24:00 AEST 2010

I had a little package about 15 to 20 years ago
whose whole raison d'etre was to watch what I did
on the Mac. Can't remember the name of it at the
moment, but it worked by pattern matching and
relatively primitive heuristics, which I suppose
is relatively easy to do when the only user input
to be monitored is by keyboard and interrupt
driven mouse.

The bottom line is that the pattern matching
engine sought multiple instances of the same
pattern, and if it popped up three or more times
and certain heuristic criteria were met, a
dialogue box would appear making the observation
that I seemed to perform this task regularly, and
would it like me to generate a script to automate
it. Whether or not the dialogue box would appear
after the pattern was observed was a function of
the heuristic engine in the puppy ... which would
come to its conclusions based on what application
or series of applications was being used,
commonalities in the time of day (there was an
assumption that we are habit driven), the day of
the week or the like.

Over time this puppy built up a huge database of
my behaviour with the mouse and keyboard, which
it correlated against those other factors that
were the responsibility of the heuristic engine
and it got quite accurate in its predictions.
Unfortunately, I found that keeping track of all
the scripts it produced was more aggravating than
doing whatever the scripts did manually. (FORTH
was also a bit like that - worked fine with just
the primitives, but was a real hassle after the
user developed huge libraries of complex
functions that they had to keep track of.)

That said, it did point to what would be possible
in the future. I'm a bit surprised that its taken
the idea to take off and reach fruition. I mean,
if that package had been less intrusive and eager
to generate scripts, I might still be using it
today.

A predictive package that 'just did it' in the background would be my ideal.

On the iOS front ... after a few glitches with
early version 4 implementations, I'm really
getting to like iOS 4.1. Hopefully 4.2 won't be a
step backward.