[LINK] 'Cloud Computing doesn't fly'

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 19:12:36 AEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au>wrote:

>  asking you. ...
>
> They make the presumptions that:
> -   all users want it
>     OR whether users want it or not is irrelevant (ASP spells GOD)
> &   it works

Having said that, I love Google Docs. Not because of its "features", but
because of the easy access of my work-in-progress no matter what machine I´m
sitting at.

I think that if the guys at OpenOffice.org are wise, they should embrace the
"cloud" (Google´s Cloud, ie Google Docs storage space), not using cumbersome
plug-ins like this one:

...but actually adding a File->Open Cloud option and "virtual file
requester" allowing one to load and save documents from GDocs storage
seamlessly.

I said "if they are wise". It seems not, as they seem to have forked
OpenOffice.org into "LibreOffice" over fears of what the Evil Oracle might
possible do, one day, when they´re not looking. FUD and paranoia.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/LibreOffice-a-community-fork-for-OpenOffice-org-1097443.html

It saddens me.

Sorry, I don´t want to fork this thread either.
FC