[LINK] Esther Dyson on TLD Proliferation

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 12:43:14 AEDT 2011

On 14/12/11, Jan Whitaker  <jwhit at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> I'm thinking of the multipliers beneath each TLD, not the top level
> so much. Think how many brand.NEWtld there will be as defensive
> positions. Do I have that wrong?
>
> It's really a license to print money for the registrars.

I've participated on two auDA Domain Name Policy Review panels over the past few years. Those panels include a significant representation of those who benefit from policies that increase registrations.

No points for guessing which policies they advocate and vote for. I haven't been very popular for pointing this out. The auDA board is not required to act on the recommendations of review panels however....

Cheers.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific