[LINK] RFC: The Web in Oz, 1992-94

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 14 21:23:14 AEDT 2011

Roger, Scott and Steven write,

> Was 0.8 one of the rapid patch releases that addressed a flaw picked
> up as/once the previous version was released into the wild? I seem to
> recall one or two, particularly for the Windows version of mosaic.
> IIRC there was a broken Windows TCP/IP stack around at about that time

Yes, Monash EdFac offered a few Victorian teachers (maybe half a dozen)
home-dial-up VAX accounts, net-enabled, which was fine for DOS machines
after one got ports and modem commands sorted, around 1992. Then, early
in 1993, MelbPC offered Mosaic v0.8 as a bulletin board download, which
to my great surprize, when installed, promptly resolved the Mosaic page!
via the VAX account. As you say S & S, V0.8 was rapidly updated several
times until V1.0 arrived shortly (3 months) after Win V3.1 was released
IIRC. Haha, at that time there was nothing much to see on the web, so I
much preferred dial-up bulletin boards, and so set two up at the school,
one as a computer club activity, the other, Fidonet, on our ICT network.

Though, i do recall logging into Monash the LONG way, telnetting around
the world, rather than the six kilometers from home to Monash. In doing
that, at that time, commands took 16 secs per round trip. Anyway hahaha,
enough of my tripping down internet's memory lane, fun though it may be.