[LINK] Esther Dyson on TLD Proliferation

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 03:29:43 AEDT 2011

I'm not using it as a test for change Darrell, but using it as an example of the narrowness of views to support or oppose or otherwise change. That the vast majority of panel members were not prepared to give reasons based on evidence shows how poorly the panel performed. I can't imagine successful businesses being so inward looking. By coincidence today I had lunch with one of the leading IP lawyers dealing with domain names in the world and we discussed some of the issues from the panel. There are plenty of ccTLDs that could be used as examples for improving policy. That none were is sad.

For example, I supported allowing non-Australian registrants in .au. But the claim was if there was a problem it can be difficult to contact the registrant. Which is not supported by evidence. You require a contact in the country of registration, and if they can't be contacted in the case of a problem, then this is the registrant's problem. Not the registry.

David