[LINK] RFC: The Web in Oz, 1992-94

linda rouse linda at databasics.com.au
Fri Dec 16 11:03:07 AEDT 2011

Hi Roger
FWIW: Not the first but... I remember demonstrating Coombsweb
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ in my Internet training courses in the mid
nineties and lo, I go there today and find that it closed down in Jan of
this year:

"The Coombsweb (including its all subsidiary (and/or sister) pages on
"coombs.anu.edu.au" server) has permanently ceased its publishing
operations on Tuesday 25th January 2011"

"Seventeen years ago, at the time of its launch (25 Jan 1994) Coombsweb
was 2nd WWW site at the ANU, the 5th site in Australia and the 850th WWW
server in the world. Currently the Internet comprises over 255.2 million
Web servers [as at 25 Jan 2011]."

regards
Linda

--