[LINK] Light instead of wireless, Li-Fi

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Dec 19 02:45:38 AEDT 2011

"Harald Haas: Wireless Data From Every Lightbulb"   Posted: 16th Dec 2011

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/harald-haas-wireless-
data_n_1153538.html?1324050673> (snip)

. Traditionally, (much of) the information we move around is transmitted
using radio frequency spectrum.

It is forecast that by the year 2015, we will transmit six exabytes every
month through wireless networks. This is a ten-fold increase on the
amount of data we send now.

In order to meet this increased demand, we need either 10 times more
radio frequency spectrum for commercial wireless networks, or, we have to
make the existing radio frequency spectrum 10 times more efficient.

We are heading to a saturation point in terms of how efficiently we can
use the radio frequency spectrum. The only way out of this is to find new
ways to transmit data wirelessly.

Fortunately, the electromagnetic spectrum not only incorporates the radio
frequency spectrum, but also includes the visible light spectrum.

In the past decade, there have been massive developments in the use of
light emitting diodes (LEDs). Since LEDs are far more energy efficient
than incandescent bulbs, they are at the heart of the latest generation
of lights. In fact, research by my team at the University of Edinburgh
has shown that, if all the world's incandescent light bulbs were replaced
by LED, the energy saved would be equivalent to that produced by more
than 100 nuclear power stations.

However, this is not the only advantage of LEDs.

We have harnessed this feature to develop novel techniques that enable
ordinary LED light bulbs to wirelessly transmit data at speeds many times
faster than WiFi routers.

We have named the new technology Li-Fi (light fidelity) which we now
commercialize via the university spin-out company VLC Ltd.

In our lab, under ambient light conditions, we are able to achieve data
speeds of 130 megabits per second.

If all light bulbs were able to do this, it would create a simple, energy-
efficient solution to the lack of available radio frequency spectrum for
future wireless broadband communication.

The new Li-Fi technology utilizes existing infrastructures and as a
result the installation costs are minimal, let alone the reduced cost of
the technology as it does not require an antenna.

On top of this, there are other advantages to this technology.

Light does not penetrate walls, and so internet signals cannot be
intercepted outside the room in which they are transmitted, which
enhances security. Light is inherently safe and can be used in places
where radio frequency communication is often deemed problematic, such as
in aircraft cabins or hospitals.

In the not-too-distant future, a day in the life of an average person,
whom we'll call Sally, could look like this:

* When Sally switches on the light in the morning, she gets the latest
news flashed on her smartphone. From the breakfast table she sends a few
emails through the table light.

* Sally gets into her car and drives to work. On the way, a cat crosses
the street and she has to brake hard. Her LED backlights tell the car
behind to slow down even before the driver has a chance to brake -- an
accident is avoided.

* Sally stops in front of a traffic light that operates using LEDs. While
showing red, the traffic light is able to send a signal to switch off the
engine in Sally's car, reducing CO2 emissions. The traffic light also
communicates with the navigator inside the car, and helps Sally avoid a
traffic jam ahead.

* In the office, Sally's fast internet access is provided through the LED
ceiling lights. She has internet access in all meeting rooms, but no-one
on the street outside can intercept the signals.

* After work she decides to go to an art gallery to pass the time until
she meets Tom, her new boyfriend, for a date at a restaurant downtown.
The LED spotlights in the gallery illuminate the pictures and provide
information about them.

* Sally leaves the art gallery and, on the way downtown, she passes some
shops. LED lights in the shop windows broadcast offers. She buys a pair
of shoes on sale.

* The restaurant is in a large shopping mall. Sally's navigation system
guides her there. Inside the mall, LED ceiling lights take over the task
of guiding her to the restaurant.

* Once inside the restaurant, LED table lights beam the menu card onto
Sally's smart-phone. She enjoys her meal and leaves a recommendation on
the restaurant's home page, using the connection from the same table
light.

* By the time Sally leaves the restaurant it is dark. She is in a good
mood after her date. On the way back to her car, she leaves a little
message at a street light, which acts as a local message board,
saying "Sally loves Tom" -- just as in the past she might have carved the
same into a tree

-----------

Also, at a VLC Ltd site <http://visiblelightcomm.com> ...

Light at the end of the Ethernet
Posted on October 27, 2011 by GordonPovey

Where does PoE fit with VLC?

I have previously talked about Ethernet over power, also known as power
line communications (PLC) and the fact that this is a complementary
technology to VLC since it allows the communications backhaul to be
carried over the existing lighting power circuits.

Now I want to consider Power over Ethernet (PoE), a technology that has
been around for a while but is growing in popularity.  Ethernet cables,
such as CAT5, are clearly designed to carry data, but there are PoE
standards designed to allow them also to carry power.  The idea being
that low power Ethernet connected devices, such as VoIP phones, networked
cameras etc. can have just a single connector and no additional power
adapter is required.

PoE comes in a number of flavours.  There are two IEEE standards; 802.3af
and 802.3at which both use a spare pair of conductors to carry the
power.  The more common af standard can provide up to 15W of d.c. power
rated at 44V, 350mA.  The more recent at standard known as PoE+ provides
up to 30W.  There are a number of non-standard variants and Cisco’s
recently announced universal PoE variant (UPOE) can carry up to 60W of
power using two pairs of cables from a CAT5e or CAT6 cable.

So why not use PoE to power high efficiency LED lighting installations
since now the power, voltage and current parameters are well matched to
this application.

It seems to me, not just feasible that PoE infrastructure could be
utilised for lighting, control and communications within a building, but
it also seems very sensible.  We have ourselves demonstrated high speed
data communications transmitted from an IP connected light bulb.

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server