[LINK] Electronic medical records: why we should seek a second

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Dec 20 17:16:47 AEDT 2011

At 11:48 +1100 20/12/11, David Boxall wrote:
>The risks are huge, granted. Are we to believe that:
>1. privacy is all and;
>2. a single, broadly-accessible health record holds no potential benefit
>for any Australian consumer of health services?
>
>Consider a non-hypothetical middle-aged Aboriginal male, admitted
>semi-conscious to Alice Springs hospital. ...

It's a bit of a straw man, isn't it David?

He has two chronic conditions (diabetes and an allergy to a
mainstream family of anti-biotics).  So he's already very much within
the categories I referred to in my earlier posting as being the
desirable target-areas for eRecords.

In addition, he's a middle-aged Aboriginal male living in Alice
Springs.  So he's got a third characteristic that, although nominally
a demographic, is tantamount to a chronic condition as well.

For clarity, my personal position, and, separately, the APF's, are
strongly in favour of the appropriate use of IT in support of patient
health care:
http://www.privacy.org.au/Papers/eHealth-Policy-090828.pdf

Unfortunately, the current proposals aren't appropriate, and aren't
targeted at patient health care.