[LINK] New free MIT learning platform 'with a virtual community of learners worldwide'

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Dec 22 22:38:05 AEDT 2011

Tom writes,

> Of course, there are also many universities which offer the same
> qualification to online students as to their on-campus students. An
> issue for institutions which differentiate between face-to-face and
> on-line courses, is what happens when research shows that the on-line
> courses are superior to their traditional on-campus ones? My preference
> would be for blended learning to be the default:  e-learning courses,
> supplemented by face-to-face classes where required ..

Yes, agreed, Tom. And, as people with an interest know, research clearly
shows blended courses are clearly preferrable for most research criteria.

Just for interest, the UK government is hoping to make university choice
easier with the development of Key Information Sets, to gather data such
as stats about courses, the cost of accommodation and employment figures.

All UK university course websites will need to display the KIS data. Do
you consider such a uni scheme might be appropriate, here in Australia?

 http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/infohe/kis.htm

"Key Information Sets"

Key Information Sets are comparable sets of standardised information
about undergraduate courses.

They are designed to meet the information needs of prospective students
and will be published 'in context' on the web-sites of universities and
colleges.

About the KIS

The KIS will contain areas of information that students have identified
as useful. These areas are:

• student satisfaction
• course information
• employment and salary data
• accommodation costs
• financial information, such as fees
• students' union information.

There will be a KIS for all undergraduate courses (including part-time)
planned for 2013-14, on which students at HEIs are registered, or which
are run through private providers who subscribe to the Quality Assurance
Agency for Higher Education.

Undergraduate programmes taught through further education colleges will
also require a KIS.

The only exceptions are short courses (one year full-time equivalent or
less), postgraduate courses, those delivered wholly overseas, and closed
courses.

Sourcing the information

We do not expect the KIS to replace other information sources, or to be
presented in isolation - we would expect them to include links to more
detailed information on the institution's own web-site. The KIS is not
intended to be a contractual document, but rather indicative.

Much of the information needed for the KIS already exists in a national
and comparable form. But those areas of information that do not exist
will need to be submitted by institutions. We have identified these items
in a document on next steps for the KIS. We have also published a
timeline for universities and colleges to submit their data.

We will collate information and create the KISs in the first year, but
expect the Higher Education Statistics Agency to take over this role in
the following years.

The KIS will be developed with a set of guidelines for users, explaining
sources of information, appropriate interpretations and disclaimers, and
any other relevant information.

The KIS technical guidance has now been published. For more information
see 'Key Information Set: further information and request for feedback on
technical guidance' (HEFCE Circular letter 23/2011).

The KIS will also be reviewed regularly to ensure that it continues to
fulfil users' needs, both in terms of content and delivery.

Further information
Louisa Baker at HEFCE
Tel 0117 9317106
e-mail l.baker at hefce.ac.uk